Transporting Bike In A Car

petorius

My company car is up for renewal, I have a nice comfortable Passat saloon with toys and DSG gearbox. I towed a trailer initially but I have been using a rack on the back of the car of late which is far more convenient, the bike rack is fine and travels well but I am never completely comfortable with the bike on the back of the car.

I have been wondering lately whether to buy my own vehicle instead of getting a company one and purchase a car where I can carry the bike inside. I would be looking for a four seater vehicle as I would have to have this for work, although seldom travel with more than a passenger and would be looking at something 3-4 years old. It would seem my options are limited to Berlingos/Partners/Caddy Maxi.

My girlfriend is horrified by the idea but I am starting to come around to the utilitarian nature of these vehicles, I would have to have the least slow version or have it chipped.

How practical is it getting a bike in one of these? Can the bike be loaded quickly and easily? Do you use a ramp or lift the bike in? I travel an annual mileage of around 18000 per year, is the noise, performance, lack of comfort going to drive me mad?

Interested to know your thoughts.

The newest generation diesels are economical, low on sound, quit quick etc. As far as comfort, I like the sit in the van I use more than the seats in many ''normal'' cars.

I use a new Ford connect, which is great, the old ones where not bad but I really like the new model.

Fiat Doblo or Citroen Berlingo will both, in my experience, be ideal. Not sure what the range offers in terms of models but those I have/have had offered good cruising speed and driver comfort with economy.

Bike lifts in no bother and comfort better than any "normal" car I have had.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I use a Fiat Doblo (have done so for several years) which has filled several roles excellently: 20,000 miles per year work vehicle, versatile 5 seater family transport (pushchair etc fits in without need to be folded down) and weekend trials transporter. Trials bike is an easy lift into the back (no need to remove seats, just fold them forward). Transformation from family car to trials transporter with bike and gear loaded takes 2/3 minutes. Also has a very comfortable driving position, mid 50s overall mpg and low insurance. I have no concern whatsoever about having fashionable transport so any comments about its 'ugly" appearance are irrelevant to me. Similarly having a more powerful car (it has 105bhp) would have zero effect on my journey times but, I dare say, a considerable one on my wallet.

I used to tow a trailer using my A3 but got sick of potential damage and the muck! Bought a transit connect crew cab, the double and single rear seats are easily removed or folded for a mix of bikes/passengers. Drives like a car does 45mpg and I use it most of the time now the car just sits there, love the van.

P.s. bought a folding ramp for 45 so loads in seconds with straps to tie it down then easy to wash a van out. Years ago it was all trailers but mostly vans at trials now. A van is a bit of a man toy, look at it that way and the Mrs can get loads of shopping in it

I had the old Berlingo & was quite impressed with it, looking for another. My mate has a Berlingo van (same body shell) & carries a 350 Norton trials bike diagonally OK. Can't remember how the back seats fold (you may have to take 'em out) but assuming you have a modern bike I'm sure it would fit. 

Berlingos come in 1600 D with 90 HP or 130 HP engines, can be quite quick but don't have sports car handling. Can't have the best of both worlds in that price league. 

• 3 weeks later...

"I would be looking for a four seater vehicle as I would have to have this for work"

That rules out all the van versions of Berlingos, Connects, Doblos etc. because they are two seaters. If you are looking at the "people carrier" type versions you will be needing to remove seats to get the bike into them in one piece.

"I would be looking for a four seater vehicle as I would have to have this for work"

That rules out all the van versions of Berlingos, Connects, Doblos etc. because they are two seaters. If you are looking at the "people carrier" type versions you will be needing to remove seats to get the bike into them in one piece.

People carriers are very good, but you have to drop the bars to get bike in. Seats are easily removed in VW, Seat, Ford derivatives, but are bulky and heavy.

You can have four seats in with the bike in the middle.