The New Top Gear

jj65

Oh dear, thought it might be quite good, but Chris Evans !!! I thought it was going to be the all new TG. All they did was carry on with the old format with nothing new, or better than before, in fact some of it was cringeworthy. I think clarkson and co will not be too worried.

• Like 1

They need to start over in their own way. Imitation the old style (like usa is doing aswel) is not going to work. Biggest part of their succes are not the cars, but the idiotic combination of the three ''monkeys'' (and awesome camera work and scenery, and stupidious sircumstances)

Watched it last night on prime... Now i know that the three amigos version was scripted but it wast forced. American top gear is scripted and predictable. This new top gear is more of the same. Its sad but it appears that if this version continues it will just be more slapstick dribble...

My pick for American top gear if it ever gets redone is 

1. Leno (cause natural car guy)

2. Danny Diveto (cause just an odd ball)

3. Anthony Bordain (cause he can paint a very clarson like picture without forcing it down your throat)

I might get shot for my recommendation but that would be my humble opinion. 

If you were to recast UK top gear who would you pick?

--Biff

I wouldn't... I'd have left along with JC, May and Hammond, knowing that it's only downhill from here for the next unknown number of years until someone else with a great idea to revamp it comes along. Things move in cycles... such is life.

Despite it being scripted and rolling on many of the same ideas from years past there was the occasional bit where the friendship of the three shone through. The laughs were genuine. When Hammond was injured and the beeb pressured Clarkson to continue the series his reply of, "Not without my Hamster!" said more to me than any script. The fact that the other two left with Clarkson was that rarest of things, loyalty. The fact that the BBC was so cheap with a show that was pulling in so much money amazed me. An on-site production without catering is unheard of for most shows. Most production companies have a team of people to protect the stars from themselves but the BBC seems to have wanted Clarkson out and were going to do whatever possible to make sure he provided the reason. So they got what they wanted. I look forward to The Grand Tour. The promo of the three sitting around discussing the name of the new show was still funnier than anything Chris Evans has done.

It was scripted fake character reality TV celeb culture junk but with the cars thrown in to make it seem manly enough to get a mixed audience. Now, well its pretty much the same, just with different actors.

Whatever it was, I loved it. Admittedly it was getting a bit old, but certain episodes set the bar so high as to make the others seem lesser, when in fact they are quite good when taken on their own.

But the format is only a part of the whole, and for me, without the original the presenters, it's pretty awful. As evidenced by the various regional spin. offs.

Watched it last night on prime...

If you were to recast UK top gear who would you pick?

--Biff

William Woollard et al☺ Let's have a proper motoring programme and not a motoring themed "comedy".

Hell, they even used to have motorcycles on it once every six years.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 2

I saw last night just how bad it really was, won't be making that mistake again

Chris Evans has zero on screen personality, spent a bit of time looking for the strings & humming the thunderbirds theme then looked for the ventriloquist with his hand where the sun don't shine. Can't see him caring though with the amount the BBC is meant to be paying him