New Ossa

deadwood

Just to add to the previous answers on USD forks, I thought the main reason they were used on MX bikes was because of their un-sprung weight advantage( regarding;reaction/momentum times) which is not a priority on a slower moving trials bike?

I reckon OSSA 'know their onions' and that's why the standard 40mm forks are listed as an option ...maybe?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could please explain the reasoning behind your statement?

Sorry been off here for past few days, but appears that I dont need to answer this now as a few other people have kindly picked up on the reasons why (IMO) USD will not stay and are not good for a trials bike.

Time will tell though

Going on the info announced with the launch of the bike it states conventional forks as an option, if that option is taken by most when the bike hit's the market then I would think they will go with the forks that are most popular with the punter.

It also states parts will be completed and test riding of the machine to start in January, with a projected production time in July, if all goes well and the design is perfect, the test period to production is way too short.

The Mont 4RT was pretty close when released to the market, with a couple of minor issues, I think I read they had three years of testing before release, can Ossa produce a machine has reliable in a fraction of the time it took Mont ?

Looking at the launch pictures, it's missing a few parts, and the front wheel would lock up solid as soon as it saw any mud with the fender so close, the bike does look magic, it would be a shame to rush and spoil what could be a potential top seller.

Here the real translation (not babelfish...) :chairfall:

PRESENTATION OSSA Factory and the new TR 280i

Why use an upside-down fork?

2) Rigidity-torsion: the solution is an over-sized upside-down fork with a 40 mm diameter made of aluminium to reduce the effect of torsion bending as much as possible.

Is this translation correct? Are the down-tubes aluminum? Plated? That would explain the advantage - weight reduction.

USD forks are more rigid than conventional forks, until you put a fork brace on the conventional forks. There is no good way to put a fork brace on the USD. The fork brace is also a very convenient place to mount a fender. With 40mm tobes The Ossa fork may not need a fork brace. On an MX bike that doesn't use a fork brace or low fender the rigidity is better for the weight of the fork with the USDs.

I have a Rev with USDs and I find them less prone to rock damage than conventional forks, although I have damaged tubes on both types of fork. Fork seals on the USDs last about 5-10 times longer than on the conventionals.

There are clearly advantages and disadvantages to both types of fork. I would not write off the USDs until we see how the whole package works. I congratulate Ossa for not using the cookie cutter approach in designing their bike and hope they will use solid engineering rather than kneejerk public opinion to spec their bikes.

I think the use of the USD forks were a natural theme choice to reflect the radical departure from the norm. In a way, its created a great distraction as folks argue the merit of USD or replacing the forks instead of some of the bigger issues.

Edited by laser1

I would expect with this new interest in OSSA the company, current twinshock bike prices will go up as a result. SELL SELL SELL :chairfall:

Doubt it.

Also doubt 1200 have been sold as no one knows what the final spec and price might be, and as far as anyone knows outside of spain 1200 in spain alone perhaps Greeves could enlighten us as to the truth?

Doubt it.

Also doubt 1200 have been sold as no one knows what the final spec and price might be

Irrelevant probably agree on the numbers, but people will and have placed an order on products in the past from a drawing??????

Bet if the there was a Uk importer announced then his phone would be ringing for orders?

Irrelevant probably agree on the numbers, but people will and have placed an order on products in the past from a drawing??????

Bet if the there was a Uk importer announced then his phone would be ringing for orders?

I'm the sort of person who would never hassle a dealer for a test ride of a bike unless I was on the verge of purchasing a new steed.

I'm skint at the mo' but... ( DOUCHE-BAG ALERT)I would ring the UK OSSA dealer up just to blag a test ride for the hell of it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I rather liked the USD forks on my Betas. Of more interest is the forks have no offset. That alone can explain the USD approach. It'll be interesting to see how the front end reacts on steps since on almost all modern trials bikes the fork/steering pivot are parallel or at least near parallel. On this bike there has to be increased fork angle to compensate for the loss of trail in the steering geometry. Also interesting to see how it affects stability on drop offs. There's more here then just cosmetics.

I rather liked the USD forks on my Betas. Of more interest is the forks have no offset. That alone can explain the USD approach. It'll be interesting to see how the front end reacts on steps since on almost all modern trials bikes the fork/steering pivot are parallel or at least near parallel. On this bike there has to be increased fork angle to compensate for the loss of trail in the steering geometry. Also interesting to see how it affects stability on drop offs. There's more here then just cosmetics.

Obviously, you never found the article tha stated all that as hogwash as well! Maybe it could effect your high speed stability?

Could you tell me what that is? As I would hate to find any uncontrolled occillations while going past the 10mph barrier!