New Ossa

deadwood

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the CAD workstations in Salt are working overtime?

Hey Copey, didn't know you had a Yankee. Please post pics.

I wish I had pics of that thing now! If I do, they are likely on some 35mm slides stuck up in the attic somewhere. I actually had two of them, one a parts bike basically.

I dont get the upside down forks though. Apart from the valid comments about damage etc, it puts more weight higher up and you want the weight as low as possible to aid stability?

I cant help but be impressed that in the current financial state of the planet, there are some bold businessmen out there willing to do this stuff. Fair play :icon_salut:

USD forks do not work for trials. For moto x etc there are big benefits.

Would safely bet that by the time we see these are production models they will have the standard Marzocchi's on

USD forks do not work for trials. For moto x etc there are big benefits.

Would safely bet that by the time we see these are production models they will have the standard Marzocchi's on

What are the benefits to moto x? And why wouldn't they apply to trials?

I'm not really sure why bikes have upside down forks anyway.... Something to do with reducing unsprung weight?

Either way I'm fairly sure the Reeth rocks would make short work of those stanchions without some extra guards!

New Ossa looks cool but how many times have us older wobblers seen radical designs either scare people off or prove to be disasters with the proud new owners copping for it? Don't want to sound negative but how hot is that bike going to run on roadwork (SSDT) with the fuel tank sat in front of the rad? USD forks were all the rage 20 years ago but got binned cos of bulk up high and they were TOO rigid. I really hope the bike's great but let's give them a couple of years to iron out the wrinkles, they all look pretty when they're new! Birks for new importer?!

Could please explain the reasoning behind your statement?

Hmm, USD forks have more bearing surface area (i.e. where the sliders mate with the stanchion). This gives them more rigidity. It also gives 'em more stiction. USD's can also lock up under heavy breaking. Imagine trying to force a pencil through a kinked tube with a similar diameter. This can be a good thing for example road racers where you want the geometry to stay consistent under heavy breaking. Normal forks will continue to operate but aren't as rigid so, in the case of our road racer, the forks will continue to operate BUT the front wheel will beforced back to the chassis making the steering quicker and the bike less stable.

As far as off road goes, USD's are better where there are BIG jumps involved so the forks aren't spending most of their time in the the first three or four inches of their travel. Sort of an all or nothing approach for SX/MX. Where enduros or trials are concerned big jumps or hits aren't the concern it's the little bumps (3-4 inches), This is where the lack of stiction of conventional forks is more desirable.

Of course there's always the fact that USD are very vulnerable too.

The main problem with usd forks on trials bike isn't excessive rigidity, quite the opposite. A trials bike has a smaller diameter front axle than a mx or enduro bike & this allows them to twist

The 2000 model rev3 was the last bike to try them & they were a failure, the factory had to come up with a fork brace partway through the year as a fix before reverting to conventional forks the next year

I remember reading & hearing quite a few stories of how it was possible to see the front end twist when you grabbed a handful of front brake

I can see most buyers going for the conventional forks even if the axle does end up being larger just because we're all pretty conservative when it comes to what we're used to in the front of our bikes

Not to mention that USD forks are downright pig friggin' ugly on a trials bike and ruin the looks. Be much better with conventional forks but not at all sure about that fuel tank. It makes the bike bulky at the front.

Still not as pretty as the original MAR though.... :icon_salut: