Show Me Your Twin Shocker!

sir dabs alot

I just came in from a little work on the TY250.I hope there is a good turn out of vintage bikes at the Tilton trials this year.I,ve never been there so it wiil be nice to meet some other twin shockers and check out their bikes.I will probably bring a couple of bikes so I have a back up.Don,t know if the rules are the same there,but in district 17 if you switch bikes you are disqualified,but if I,m going to drive that far I want to ride all day whether it counts or not.

• Like 1

I have cut the back bone other frames and changed the fork angle and I can tell you this is much easer to add a new steering head. Nothing else has to be changed or moved. The reasons I did it this way on the TY is #1 change the fork angle to 24 degrees and #2 I am 6 foot 2 and the TY175 doesn't leave me much rum to work, it is really cramped.

As for the angle of the rear shocks on the Hojaka they work very well at the angle. I had to change the springs to stiffer ones and had to add a stop on the shaft because it was getting too much travel for the vintage class. There is very little if anything on this bike that is stock as built in 1974.

#2 I am 6 foot 2 and the TY175 doesn't leave me much rum to work, it is really cramped.

OK now ya got me curious. Why take a small bike and make it bigger instead of getting a bigger bike in the first place and getting some more power in the process?

The colors look great.

Seeya soon.

th_P1010358_zpse89d3a20.jpg

th_P1010357_zps7b43ac73.jpg

th_XLTrials005_zpsd8a948e6.jpg

th_XLTrials006_zps47b2a086.jpg

I've just finished building this XL 250 and I prefer riding it to my Fantic 300 :hyper:

I've altered the fork angle, shortened the swinging arm and raised the motor a bit. A 26mm Moltk carb and some Betor shocks make it handle really well. The bottom end torque from the heavy flywheels is quite astonishing.

Edited by crowley
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

1985 Cagiva (Merlin) TR3.50

Been riding local vintage trials with it this year and having fun. Not restored, this bike saw very little use before I bought it. I put on new front fender brackets, fenders, Renthal bars, rebuilt the forks, added Seal Savers, cleaned it up and went riding. Oh...using "Tubliss" system in the rear wheel with new Dunlops front and back.

28km4ug.jpg

Edited by canadaler
  • Like 2