Gas Gas Future?

telecat

This is what makes trials bike buying so great, you have a choice. I spoke with an over 60's rider who was a works rider for Greeves with bill Wilko etc and he's just bought a 4rt, cos he fancied one, but even he said he found finding grip an art form in the muddy eastern centre. So you can get reliability and robustness exrta weight etc but you have a choice. One marque is different to another not better or worse necessarily, and the fact one person has a good or bad experience prooves very little. Conversly to guys i went 4rt to 2 strokes and im much happier, and in the majority.

The majority of voters in Germany chose for Hitler. :moon:

And it might take some time to get used to the power band of a 4RT, but that they don't provide grip is a load of cobblers.

They grip differently, but they do grip and they can grip better than a 2 stroke. The problem with "new" to 4rt owners is patience, too many buy one cant get any grip so sell it instead of learning and persevering. I will admit I was a perfect example of just how differently a 4rt grips to a 2 stroke when I first bought one, I could hardly get it to go forward on wet grass for weeks but stuck with it and learned. I'm now in a similar position today after a three plus year break from trials but enjoying the learning process again.

• Like 1

Looks like Raga is doing his best

Great win

Dadof2 ~ I thought you said GG Pro's were no good?

Dadoff confirmed he owns 2 gas gas's in a recent post, Keep up Johnny, I must admit we all thought he wouldn't touch one with a bargepole!!!

Edit, Just read this thread again and I might have missed a post, Dadoff doesn't own a gas gas it appears.

Sorry I'm confused, not that it really matters. :wall:

Edited by steve_earle
  • Like 2

dadof2, on 25 Dec 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:snapback.png

ND I do not mind anyone disagreeing with me or having a different point of view but at times you make statements that are just not true such as saying I do not own a Gasgas or accuse me of not knowing anything about them when you have no means of knowing whether I do or not. The FACT is I own 2 GGs and have worked on or helped diagnose problems on several more recently.

If someone does have a different point of view I ask that they put forward a reasoned argument, not just say I am wrong.

I and anyone else is fully entitled to post what they like on this forum no matter how tenuous its link to the topic. It is up to the site owner and moderators to manage the site as they wish, not have unofficial self appointed "moderators" say what should or should not be posted.

Dadoff, Please put us out of our misery DO YOU OWN A GAS GAS?????????????????????

I'm NOT stiring, I just can't work out these contradicting posts, Please don't take this the wrong way :thumbup:

dadof2, on 25 Dec 2014 - 02:08 AM, said:snapback.png

Dadoff, Please put us out of our misery DO YOU OWN A GAS GAS?????????????????????

I'm NOT stiring, I just can't work out these contradicting posts, Please don't take this the wrong way :thumbup:

Doesn't everyone have crap in their garage they wouldn't buy again?

• Like 1

I do own 2 gassers but neither of them are Pro's.

I have ridden pretty well all the Pro models from 125 to 300 and like them to ride, and I like the overall style and build of them. Unfortunately in addition to riding them I have had cause to have to look inside the gearbox of pretty well all the Pro models and that is what puts me off.

If you like Pros then by all means buy one but it would be prudent to Budget for a gearbox rebuild approximately every 18 months if you ride them regularly.

http://www.catalannewsagency.com/business/item/motorcycle-manufacturer-gas-gas-ceases-production-after-creditors-meeting

http://www.everybikesnews.com/featured/gas-gas-preconcurso-creditors

Edited by dadof2

I knew there would be an explanation Dadoff, It set off my OCD reading the conflicting posts and was bugging me!!!!

I do get your point on the gearbox, I've never seen a failed one but I hear of a few going bad especially the kickstarts if ham legged.

I've been unlucky with the main seals instead, My 09 needed them early on.

My low hours, just over 2 year old, Raga is now drinking ATF, I'm wondering if the ATF is attacking the seals, I know it attacks neoprene gaskets, as I've found out. Even so I will still use ATF as I like it.

It wouldn't put me off the GG, I can see why some would be put off, But to me it's just over £100 in parts and a couple of hours less drinking time, I could live with that every 2 years.

Just clicked on Dadoff's links, I better order them mains while I still can and get the camera ready for ebay!!

I will be gutted if GG go bust and the bike will have to go before it drops more in value.

My fingers, Legs and everything else is crossed for Gas Gas!!!

I would doubt it is the end but it looks like another setback.

If you look back over other news articles there is an announcement from GG on 21 January that said they expected to reach an agreement with creditors within 2 weeks. The Catalan News Agency article is 4 Feb, so it looks as if he 2 week deadline has passed without agreement being reached.

What does not look good is the fact that in about 10 years, mostly of very low interest rates the debt has not reduced, it has increased despite reportedly a cash injection of 2 million Euro at the time of the Ossa merger.

In the absence of any evidence to the contrary it looks like GG is operating at a loss which is a situation the creditors may not be willing or able to sustain. It seems they are pinning their hopes on expansion into the BRIC economies. But this is not straightforward with the possible exception of Brazil. Russia is sanctioned, India has heavy import duties, China is slowing down and in any case favours licensed local manufacture.

With regard to Steves comments about ATF. I have known for some time that not all ATFs are the same yet many trials riders tend to regard them as the same. On the JSE video (from memory) he points out that some ATFs are not suitable. Very recently I found out that some transmission lubricant which is red and frequently referred to as ATF is in fact much more of a synthetic gear oil of about SAE EP 80 or EP 75w - 90.

That means fluids commonly called ATF, range in viscosity from about 7.5 to 50 on the SAE engine scale. This is way beyond the amount of variation that would make them interchangeable.

It is NOT necessary to budget for gearbox rebuilds, the current machine has a gearbox which is very very good and an improvement on earlier models. Having never had a gearbox re build and able to cite many examples of reliability scott scotland etc Dad offs view is not typical or current.

• Like 1

I have sat back and watched this forum but my take is even if they get an investment of that 9 million its is still less than half their debt!

Would that satisfy the banks? now unles their are some "Bankers" (I said bankers?) on here that can answer that question it is looking pretty bleak and anyone with that amount of money to invest would possibly look elsewhere to get a return.

Almost delaying the inevitable are they not better going bust someone buying the assets and starting again?

Edited by gizza5
  • Like 1