4 Ride. New Montesa Motorcycle For 2016

guys

Enough storage space for a glove (apparently) but whereas a trials bike presents its own limitations on use I'm not convinced this sort of bike is a good idea, there being almost nowhere to use it legally.

Do we really want to be encouraging the irresponsible to buy a bike and use it "everywhere" as implied?

Yours

C R Mudgeon

will it be legal?

Ask the Pre 65 brigade they know what is and what's not legal and if it ain't legal they will no doubt find a way, disguise, talk their way out of, distract, cover up any possibility of the legality?

• Like 2

Do we really want to be encouraging the irresponsible to buy a bike and use it "everywhere" as implied?

I find the irresponsible already do this, and don't think this is going to change that much.  (I do understand your concern and am not trying to down play it, I just don't see this as that big of an impact) 

I for one hope they do come in the road legal form.  And would love 2 of them for my wife and I so we can do camp and rides where having the road access would open up our options to connect trails in some places we have been that I had to ride the same trail there and back instead of a connecting loop that would have been more fun.  

My 2 cents... 

Scorpa, Sherco & Ossa have all produced variants of the trials bike turned trail bike over recent years. I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh and certainly don't know anyone that bought one.

You could argue the 4RT is a more solid basis than any of the others for such a bike, but to me this feels like a niche within a niche.

• Like 1

Yes it could be a niche market. For the U.S. market  I think Montesa/Honda could have a much more demand for the 4 Ride in the U.S. if they get the 50 state street legal certificate.  There is so much competition for the off-road only market,  but less for very light weight dual sports.

Getting it to meet the requirements may be more than Montesa / American Honda is willing to do for a low volume sales bike. 

In Washington State as well as some other States one can modifiy the bike to meet the requirments on a individual basis.  I am definitely interested.

Scorpa, Sherco and Ossa have all produced variants of the trials bike turned trail bike over recent years. I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh and certainly don't know anyone that bought one.

You could argue the 4RT is a more solid basis than any of the others for such a bike, but to me this feels like a niche within a niche.

I have seen a Scorpa and an OSSA in person.  Been on the Scorpa, but didn't get a chance to try the OSSA, however with what I saw from how the owner rode it I would expect it to ride a lot like one of the Beta Sport trials bikes with the seat tank added on.  They where both great bikes.

As for market if they can get 50 state it would help them get more sales, however if they don't I still hope they come to the US as I want at least 1... (Have some hope I can get the wife to buy into me getting one for her as well)   :ph34r:

I have a Sherco X-Ride and think it is great fun. I was able to get a street plate for it here in Nova Scotia but they really are not made for any serious road driving. I have rode it in trials competitions and when we had a top Canadian rider come down and put on a training day it was impressive what the bike is capable of in the right hands... but it is doesn't hold a candle to my ST250 as far a true trials bike goes. It is really just a super light and fun Trail bike.

The Montesa has the added bonus of being a 4 stroke with EFI so may have a much better chance of being street legal in North America if they decide to import it.    

I was saying legal for the trailbike series.

We all know that as an additional bike for us it would be good but whose got 7k to splash out on a bike with few places to ride it?

As staed above niche within a niche and you cant even use it in trials really as the swinging arm is longer and cheap forks........

Be surprised if Honda uk even bring it in especially with their track record on the 4rt

I was saying legal for the trailbike series.

We all know that as an additional bike for us it would be good but whose got 7k to splash out on a bike with few places to ride it?

As staed above niche within a niche and you cant even use it in trials really as the swinging arm is longer and cheap forks........

Be surprised if Honda uk even bring it in especially with their track record on the 4rt

Having looked at the specs, I thought the forks where very nearly

the same as the 4rt.

Comments please