Twinshock Road Trial

pitley

Regarding all the chat about fitting disc brake front ends, does anyone on here have any info on fitting a disc front end to a Sherpa?.

And what happened to Dabsters tubeless rear wheel conversion for his Sherpa using a TY mono rear wheel?.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I would sling in my opinion on this thread.

If you want to ride a modern bike (ie. Disc brakes, hydraulic clutch, tubeless rims)...ride it in the modern class.

Half the fun of twinshock trials is being able to restore a reasonably priced bike and ride it in a class where everyone was on a level playing field. Adding modern bits to an old bike destroys this and along with it, most of the fun.

I moved from modern bike to twinshocks back in the mid 90's. It was the at the time the only way I could afford to keep riding. New bikes at the time were in the region of

Just to add my 10 pence worth, i fitted a front end from a Fantic 201 onto my 240 a few years back and it was crap! the original drum worked much better, all it did was to save me the time in taking the wheel out after every trial.

I dont think the early disc set ups were that much better than a well set up drum.

Personaly i think a disc makes you lazy, i personaly know riders that never take their wheels out when they buy their modern bike to when they pass it on 1 or 2 seasons later!

Thought I would sling in my opinion on this thread.

If you want to ride a modern bike (ie. Disc brakes, hydraulic clutch, tubeless rims)...ride it in the modern class.

Half the fun of twinshock trials is being able to restore a reasonably priced bike and ride it in a class where everyone was on a level playing field. Adding modern bits to an old bike destroys this and along with it, most of the fun.

I moved from modern bike to twinshocks back in the mid 90's. It was the at the time the only way I could afford to keep riding. New bikes at the time were in the region of

"I dont think the early disc set ups were that much better than a well set up drum."

You're dead right there, i can vouch for this personally! I have an early disc set up and it's very inconsistent no mater what pads you use or what conditions you are riding in, there's been a few occasions where i would have been better off with drums.

It's a different matter however when people turn up with an entire sherco front end complete with 4 pot caliper set up.

I personally think that disc brakes shouldn't be allowed in the twinshock class full stop. (excuse the pun!)

Had a discussion on here a while back on Tubed vs Tubeless when I was running an SY125 (tubed rear) I found the IRC tubed tyre great, but quite a few of the twin shock brigade seemed to using Tubeless tyres in tubed rims.....where do you draw the line with this Classic / twinshock thing ?.

Seems funny that folks can slate non standard brakes but then run modern tyres on tubed rims and say thats ok :ph34r:

I mean it's not as if you can't buy tubed tyres anymore is it!

On the tyre topic....I run modern tubeless tyres on the original rims with security bolts. Purely because there is more choice available.

I'm not saying there should be restrictions on the choice of tyre, just that if they work ok on the original rims, why bother changing it to a tubeless.

Martin

PS...T-shock 250, I thought that was an entire Sherco front end on your SWM ???

• 1 year later...

As mentioned on a previous thread when a first got my yamaha ty250r mono it had a front drum brake! then the pinky came out along with a lot of other bikes all with front discs some even with rear discs! one trial i did had a fierce drop followed by a very tight left turn because of the drum brakes on my mono i couldn't scrub enough speed off ( the brakes were set up fine!) to make the sharp turn! So i collected a 5 every time! the other disc brake bikes did not! so yes it does make hell of a difference! on another note martin m's right theres no need to alter twinshock bikes , example M.Andrews had a good try out on my majesty (std brakes and front forks!) and said the bike worked perfect no need to change anything! :lol:

On the tyre topic....I run modern tubeless tyres on the original rims with security bolts. Purely because there is more choice available.

I'm not saying there should be restrictions on the choice of tyre, just that if they work ok on the original rims, why bother changing it to a tubeless.

Martin

PS...T-shock 250, I thought that was an entire Sherco front end on your SWM ???

Martin did you get my message? Scotty.