Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Trials Central

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

RonH

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by RonH

  1. You can set your shifter height anywhere you prefer as long as the lever isn’t touching your countershaft sprocket. I set mine high just because it’s more comfortable for me. My feet are small and I can’t just move my toe to shift, I have to completely move my whole foot to shift. I wish a shorter shifter was available but I can’t find one.
  2. BW123, I had the same issues with my ‘23 Gasgas. I was always having trouble with jetting and it was a total pain to start. For your bike, it could also be an elevation issue with your current jetting. For me I bought a 28mm SC3 Smartcarb and sold my Keihin. I haven’t had any issues with it since. You may want to consider a Smartcarb. Smartcarbs don’t have jets and I haven’t had to tear down my bike since to get the old carb out and cleaned up. I also never have to worry about jets again no matter what elevation I’m riding at. I get much better MPG too and my bike doesn’t smoke anymore. If your interested in a Smartcarb they always have a Christmas sale when they take $100 off the price. https://smartcarb.com/product/smartcarb-for-gasgas-txt-250-280-300-trials/
  3. Jimmie, No, I don’t have a TY but I’m looking for one. The ones I’ve seen for sale are very trashed out and nearly all of them have the seat and seat pan removed. I was just hoping to stock up on one for when I do locate a bike. No worries about you wanting to keep yours. I totally understand. Yes, you have to be very careful when ordering tires. It’s obvious that they made a mistake but it’s very easy for the purchaser to do the same thing. It’s amazing how many sellers don’t even list whether the tire is tubeless or tube type. I nearly ordered a tire that was tubeless type when I wanted tubeless. I paused the order just as I was about to push the button and decided to call. Glad I did call. Good luck on your build! RonH
  4. Thanks for posting the photos. Awesome bike! Regarding your problem with the photos: There is a limit you can post unless you’re a paying member. However, you can still post all the pictures you want if you link them to a posting website like Flickr or Imgur. Oh yeah, do you still have the fiberglass seat pan? I’d like to buy it if at all possible. Good luck!
  5. You’ll find everything but the main shaft in the screenshot. The shaft itself isn’t critical and neither is the length. There’s some guessing involved but close is enough. Just make sure the diameter of the 17mm and 20mm tip is correct. Good luck!
  6. RonH posted a topic in Gas Gas
    Would Rock Oil GRO work in a 2023 Gasgas TXT gear box? I know Rock Oil has a specific oil for trials bikes but I can’t get it where I am. I’m getting conflicting results from Google Ai and websites. Thanks! Answer: I contacted Rock oil and they don’t recommend GRO. It won’t give the right clutch feel and will most likely slip. They do have the PRO though and I found a guy (Santa Clara Cycles) in California that sells it now at a good, fair price.
  7. Hi Scott, if I’m e er in Australia, and do very much wat to visit, I will watch out for you. I live in the Pacific Northwest, Oregon to be specific. eagke8 up above is down under though. Good luck!
  8. I went with the new Kenda Ibex K7105 rear tire because I read great reviews about them and they’re less than half the price of a Michelin or Dunlop. They’re even cheaper than the IRCs. I still have my Michelins on my bike but I wanted a spare rear tire. Every time I looked at the Michelins I felt like they were trying to rip me off. I simply don’t know why they’re so expensive. One can get a huge, fat Pirelli street racing tire that’s DOT approved and designed for high speeds for a lot less than a Michelin. Yes, they are great tires…I’m not saying they’re not. I’m not competing or a professional but I can’t see how a Kenda is going to let me down. Several pros have switched to them saying they’re as good as a Michelin. I suppose people just want to say they have Michelins on their bikes as a status symbol. Well, ok then but I’m not going to throw my money away unless Honda wants to buy me my tires like they do for Toni Bou. The Kenda’s are kind of hard to get here in the states. Many places sell them but you have to be fast because they sell out very quickly. I paid $124 with free shipping even.
  9. Hey Mate! Welcome to the refurbished forum. You’re one lucky guy because this forum has been down for two months and we all thought it was a gonner. It’s great that it’s back because there’s an awful lot of experience in these forums. I like your bikes. I have a Gasgas myself. I rode a 1974 Yamaha TY250 A back in the day and absolutely loved it. That was in the mid 70s though. Like you, I’m back to riding after all these years. The kids are gone from us too. I’m in Portland, Oregon by the way. I just turned 65 and I don’t have the invincibility I felt when I was 17 but I’m enjoying myself immensely. Stay safe and have fun! Ron H
  10. You’re not gong to like my answer but here it is anyway. Yes, painting fiberglass requires a specialized bonding primer and high-quality exterior or marine-grade paint to prevent peeling and ensure proper adhesion. Because fiberglass is smooth and non-porous, standard paints and primers will not bond to it without the proper chemical or physical base. Use a two-part (2K) epoxy primer or a dedicated bonding primer obviously after sanding and cleaning. Use a marine-grade polyurethane or acrylic enamel paint.
  11. That is absolutely gorgeous and it sounds amazing. Well done!
  12. https://www.gbnews.com/lifestyle/cars/spain-honda-motorcycle-factory-fire-evacuation
  13. Cool, you got below 70!
  14. Another great project…can’t wait to see more.
  15. I made a wheel bearing removal tool today, based on the Jitsie model, out of Jatoba wood. It has a janka hardness of 2,350 - 2,600. That is extremely hard wood. No pun intended. It dulled every one of my lathe knives to get it done. Cost me $5,50 and 1 hour of time. Jitsie’s is $60. This’ll work on 6004 2RS bearings (20 x 42 x 12) with a center spacer.
  16. RonH replied to burns1989's topic in Beta
    In 1064, England was at peace under King Edward the Confessor, but the succession crisis began brewing. The defining event of the year was the controversial journey to Normandy by Earl Harold Godwinson. This trip subsequently provided the foundation for the famous Norman Conquest in 1066. Maybe the mechanic who had the case apart before was a history buff too. 😉
  17. Custom sprockets: https://www.rebelgears.com/ https://www.supersprox.com/supersprox-custom/
  18. Simple green is NOT safe on anodized aluminum. It is too alkaline. Just Google the question and you’ll see. I once used it on a red anodized cassette on a bike and it faded it considerably.
  19. At least you won’t have to replace that tire…perfect condition. 😉
  20. RonH replied to ahell's topic in Montesa
    I forgot about this bike and it’s great to see the progress. The black scheme is awesome!
  21. Include a photo when you’ve got it back together. Best of luck!
  22. https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Montesa-Scorpion-Vintage-Manual-Original/dp/B091G4YRW8
  23. SlowDave, keep showing the doctors they’re wrong. I had an accident (electrocuted) when I was a kid that kept me hospitalized for an entire year. The doctors said I wouldn’t be able to run or ride my bike anymore and that I’d be in a wheelchair in my 50s. Well, I did run again and even skied competitively in college. I’m 65 now and still going strong. Doctors don’t know everything. Also, I had a 1974 TY250 myself that I rode in high school after I was released from the hospital. I’m looking for one now myself. I loved that bike.
  24. You can get reproduction seat covers for cheap and all you have to do is replace the foam. https://www.ebay.com/itm/152173175811?_skw=Yamaha+TY250&itmmeta=01KPVB8X7K75DWFQGXEMP05ASF&hash=item236e3a6403:g:m4UAAOSwxWxg~5Mx&itmprp=enc%3AAQALAAAA8DKQclQvzFwZQpmMrsO4LurgsYX0OYtwnOHG1FqA1%2F4kKnkmO1Tf1vVMAj8S58n4mC%2BLYnlfInRqXIScPwtyzkobh23jam4E7Q9g2reOSh52rFIaNN4L0M9qqSfHPPaW4PSPqfenXRfb2Viv0owk1jo04zzjMlCGznp54xmySvlN4lXY%2BBlFCwrt9aEl1ky0oFIORYTYoP7KkHCURS5NmD%2FvEPsuFzic575YGiyrrX4VpKejiPf4A8dt5HADBGxFVo8pnWJt4rsvnQTq4lAzQPHqi%2FVzqGrbzzJi7qdb7bXYpPBWn%2BbHe%2BztGNRCHkB4sw%3D%3D|tkp%3ABFBMyNSj67Zn

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.