Raga Looking For Finance To Complete Season.

telecat

I have only had front page viewing of articles up until recently so I may be talking rubbish but the F.I.M. video shorts of the indoor rounds has got to be some of the worst advertising of our sport ever produced. You get a brief overview of the area where the event takes place then 1 second snapshots of a bike hitting a step or other large obstacle all to irrelevant music !

The whole world championship is irrelevant to the absolute majority of participants in our sport, go to any local trial and look at the cross section of riders and I bet you will find a couple of experts, 25% intermediate 50% novice / easy route rider and the balance made up of riders just out happy to use their bikes ( I should say I am in the southern part of the country and am relating to club / centre restricted level events. These ratios can of course be bickered over but hopefully you get my drift ! )

It must feel necessary to some to appear to belong to an extreme sport, but how does the World or even British Championship relate to normal weekend riders and for an even more diverse relationship what about the ever expanding classic trials scene ?

Looking forward to the weekend

I really doubt that many people buy a bike because of its world round performance. I am sure more will of been impressed by the Vertigo getting through the SSDT.

Don't overestimate the influence of the SSDT in the rest of the world.

If we were all swayed by world round performances then Montesa would be the best selling bike by far.

I'm sure if Montesa sold a more competitive bike, they would have a top selling bike. It's always a combination of factors that make a bike successfull.

I think the Vertigo would sell without a top rider.

• Like 2

How does F1 or the World Endurance Series equate to Fiesta Racing at Knockhill or Croft. 4 wheels a Motor and a driver is the answer. The rest is money, talent and a team. If you expect the top of the sport to be the same as the week to week then you are in the wrong sport. Most people treat it as a hobby. In Trials the upside is you CAN ride the bike your heroes ride. However the three things that make the "top" of the sport are usually lacking. Enthusiasm however can take you a fair way.

The SSDT has influence in the UK and a few overseas riders but they aren't over crowding the entry. Vertigo were well prepped for the event and had a couple of riders who have previously won it. While not a slam dunk the proof will be when club riders take the bike to Trials.

• Like 1

I have only had front page viewing of articles up until recently so I may be talking rubbish but the F.I.M. video shorts of the indoor rounds has got to be some of the worst advertising of our sport ever produced. You get a brief overview of the area where the event takes place then 1 second snapshots of a bike hitting a step or other large obstacle all to irrelevant music !

The whole world championship is irrelevant to the absolute majority of participants in our sport, go to any local trial and look at the cross section of riders and I bet you will find a couple of experts, 25% intermediate 50% novice / easy route rider and the balance made up of riders just out happy to use their bikes ( I should say I am in the southern part of the country and am relating to club / centre restricted level events. These ratios can of course be bickered over but hopefully you get my drift ! )

It must feel necessary to some to appear to belong to an extreme sport, but how does the World or even British Championship relate to normal weekend riders and for an even more diverse relationship what about the ever expanding classic trials scene ?

Looking forward to the weekend

Absolutely agree, except youngsters like to look up to the their heroes and aspire to be like them. Factories want to show case their bikes with the best riders proving what there capable of doing, even if 99% of the public can't get anywhere near what the bikes are capable of.

When joe blogs get his hands on one, we'll see how they fair, as many riders idea of maintenance, is far from what the designer and factory would like.

Back to OP topic, if Adam can't get the money to continue, then something is really bad with the business of trials, he's an ex world champion, can win both indoor and outdoor wtc rounds and would no doubt win the SSDT if he choose to enter. He's sponsored by Redbull as well and even if vertigo don't need a win to sell bikes, that doesn't mean the owner doesn't want to win (I seem to remember when the vertigo was first announced, winning was one of their priorities along with quality and reliability, they wanted to build the BEST bike).

If it was my decision, I sign him up today.

Edited by jj65

If trials and the World Championship means anything to Raga, he will be there. When your at the top you get spoilt. You get more stuff than you really need. Its a hard come down but like i say. If he wants to ride, he'll be there. I'm sure he knows enough people to be fixed up already.  If he's not forgotten where he came from then he'll put his hand in his own pocket. Plenty of time to negotiate a deal.      

In Moto GP, Honda said we wont have 2 spanish riders. next thing you know!!!  

So anythings possible. Be good to see him on Vertigo though..           Tom

• Like 1

jj65 a win at any cost might be a Pyhrric victory. Any business that is to survive has to be conscious of the bottom line and even if Adam's salary is not too high just the cost of providing support for another world contender might be far more than Vertigo has in the piggy bank. It'll be very interesting to see who shows up in the U.S. this year and with what kind of support.

Edited by dan williams

Lets say a year cost 150.000 euro's ( i dont know, but hypothetically, it might be more, but is also paid by different sponsors etc).

I dont know what the margin on a bike is but lets say 1000 per bike

Than you need to sell like 150 bikes to get back to 0. I dont know how many bikes vertigo plans to produce first year, but I think that is too much.

Short Raga interview translated from Spanish.

https://soymotor.wordpress.com/2015/05/27/adam-raga-una-situacion-dificil/

It seems that had to be when things are but for one of the best drivers ever trial, 6 times World Champion of the specialty (4 indoor-2 outdoor), Adam Raga, when has a media impact on reference sports media, Marca, As, Mundo Deportivo, etc ... and not by their achievements, their victories, their exploits and their world titles.

Yes, Adam Raga, a great athlete and a good friend is in a really difficult situation to remain competitive due to the lockout and suspension of payments of brand-factory which has been faithful throughout his career, Gas Gas.

So I do not give a sh*t and cut my best to know the subject is pick up the phone, call and ask himself Adam Raga. Leaving aside their responses, the tone of his voice, the pauses between what was telling me, denoted a great sadness, a sadness in someone who is always cheerful, which is always a joke, which is always active and enthusiastic in their projects and also the sadness invaded me as I listened to his words and impressions.

We spoke little, did not want to be too long hung on the phone with him this weekend there Championships race. World in the Czech Republic and Adam was preparing to leave and was not necessary to entertain too.

SoyMotor: Hi Adam, what does such? Adam Raga: Well ...

SM: How are you affected by this suspension of payments of Gas Gas? AR: It's complicated. A big problem and leave you lying in the middle of a season and canceling all.

SM: And Adam Raga, how it has affected you personally? AR: Very f**ked up, I feel cheated, we have actually cheated me. The Generalitat, which is heavily involved in the project GG and investors when in August last year renewed for three more seasons, with better pay and other benefits, they knew the situation of the company and said nothing, just that everything it would solve and would not have problems. I feel cheated and very bad.

SM: How do you face the rest of the season, World-National trial? AR: Working with the team but not the GG team, but the team ADAM RAGA, with my people and preparing the best possible challenge facing the remainder of the season in this way. With the material at my disposal and pulling forward.

SM: Have you raised finish the season as a privateer GG or have sought alternative? AR: Yes, I have no choice. Besides trying to change bike now it would be counterproductive for me as it would not be competitive with a bike which I'm not molded.

SM: . This weekend we run worldwide in the Czech Rep, Will Adam Raga there to try to get the win? AR: Yes, I will and also want to thank the RFME carrying my skis and equipment on the truck Fede so that I have a great help in this respect and so I can run.

SM: ? And for next year AR: For next year see offers that may come, stick with my personal sponsors and to meet again some time with all the guarantees.

SM: Thanks Adam and luck in this ordeal that you are going through. AR: Thank you Phil.

The conversation was short, no more than five minutes, but in it, the way it was Adam to speak, to express themselves, to tell you the things you were going to realize that was not right, that he felt cheated, as well said - and helpless in a situation that if it has been raised as it really was from the beginning, sure I would not be in this situation.

Gas Gas Shareholders of Catalonia, between each other "the house without sweeping" as in this case, a great person, a World Champion a proverb says, and someone with his figure, his charisma and his triumphs is a value for the company to operate, it is even more known and carries the name of Gas Gas to the ends of the biker world in addition to sell more motorcycles champions of the World, is the first victim of a series of events that have been dragging on for time and have not wanted or known how to solve in time to avoid what for many was "an open secret" and who has dragged the whole social structure of the company leaving many families on the street. Duro is the professional pilots of the mark and hard so their employees.

A Adam I wish you all the luck in the world to find the funding needed to finish this season with guarantees so they can fight for the World title and National in a season that will be for the brave pilot Ulldecona very, very hard and surely try finish in the best way possible. Currently he is leader of the National and in fourth place 12 points behind Toni Bou, but certainly not cease in its efforts to re-proclaimed champion of Spain and the World, which has been so close in the last two seasons.

The future of Adam see it with hope, a pilot with his resume and the way it is, that is a serious candidate for the title in tests in which it participates and certainly at the end of the season will not be short "brides" to take over its services, but until then, Adam faces a tough challenge that will bring to "note".

• Like 2

Eddie at his peak couldn't either, Raga has ridden the Scottish and Cabastany non have faired well?

I think this is a bit unfair. They dont know the SSDT which is a multi facitated event I am sure any of the top ten could win the event if they immersed themselves in it for a few years to learn the ropes and practiced specifically for the event.

This years winner commented about a practice beck that he never wanted to see again, or words to that effect, so the amount it takes to win in not based on talent alone.

• Like 2

Really sad situation Adam finds himself in and hopefully he will be able to sort something out without it affecting his riding too much.

If memory serves me correctly Malcolm Rathmell used to carry they key bits of his works Montesa as hand luggage to the flyaway rounds and then get wheels and other bits locally.

Regarding the UK WTC  round I would be very surprised if the local GG dealer MHB of Brough (about 30 miles from Nord View) would not be prepared to put him up and provide workshop facilities, there is plenty of good practice ground as well.

Maybe Adam could run a trials school afterwards to raise some cash.

Don't want to burden Andy (site owner) any further but perhaps could he or someone open a bank account into which electronic transfers could be made, maybe a whip round at a few trials.

Something WTC organisers should look at, because of falling pro class entries not just Rags is the payment of start money.