Taming a 300??

leosantanalg

The interesting thing UK Beta`s all run different than the one`s we get. Heavier flywheel and an added weight on the clutch side as well.  Beta USA sells a model called the super smooth. I believe it is the std 300 UK model. I have never ridden one yet as they are rare. So funny to hear reports on your bikes, since all of ours are quicker stock. We ride mainly dry rock as in Spain. But if I lived say upper New York state I would probably buy the super smooth and go from there.

PS I love my 250 Factory Beta.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

if you need to tame get a smaller cc.

Generally, gearing up (Larger countershaft or smaller rear) does not help on a 300, in fact it makes it worse because they got so much torque....and stuff just happens faster. There is always the large bore stickers on a smaller cc machine option...for visual appeal when transporting through town??:mellow:

• Like 3

14 hours ago, lineaway said:

The interesting thing UK Beta`s all run different than the one`s we get. Heavier flywheel and an added weight on the clutch side as well.  Beta USA sells a model called the super smooth. I believe it is the std 300 UK model. I have never ridden one yet as they are rare. So funny to hear reports on your bikes, since all of ours are quicker stock. We ride mainly dry rock as in Spain. But if I lived say upper New York state I would probably buy the super smooth and go from there.

PS I love my 250 Factory Beta.

New York State dealers should just get UK models, as our conditions are so similar! LOL!

13 hours ago, lineaway said:

But you ride a 250?  Actually instead of a new bike this year I might just add a 300 top end. Then keep what I like for my next bike in 2019. I am kinda stuck on Beta again.

Yes, bought it before I'd ridden a 125, and it was cheap. I'll probably go SS300 or 125 next.

• Like 1

It also has a lot to do about the second hand market. In the UK, well the part of the uk im in, 2nd hand 300s outweigh 2nd hand 250s at least 2:1. Mainly driven by better riders riding the 300 and changing their bikes more often. 300s are usually easier got, and therefore cheaper, so a lesser rider is tempted by the 300 if its easily detuned. A clean cheap 2nd hand 250 is kinda rare

6 hours ago, faussy said:

It also has a lot to do about the second hand market. In the UK, well the part of the uk im in, 2nd hand 300s outweigh 2nd hand 250s at least 2:1. Mainly driven by better riders riding the 300 and changing their bikes more often. 300s are usually easier got, and therefore cheaper, so a lesser rider is tempted by the 300 if its easily detuned. A clean cheap 2nd hand 250 is kinda rare

Or, lots of people get 300s and then have trouble riding them, so sell them to the next person who thinks they'll do better ...?

The quest for ever greater capacity / power is something that's taken for granted in all other forms of motorcycling, so I guess that that bleeds through into trials

On 26/01/2018 at 10:11 PM, oni nou said:

For British people that blue colouration at the top of the pictures is called the sky and those black bits under the bikes are not patches of leaked gearbox oil but are things called shadows created by something known as light.

And that nice flat pothole less road was probably paid for by the people who vary rarely see that thing that causes the light☀️?EUr here’s another 30 million??

10 minutes ago, oni nou said:

Its not a  problem now anyway as the UK will be only paying for its own interests in the not too distant future.... farming subsidies will be larger, there will be more investment in Cities and their infrastructure, the NHS will improve vastly,, road surfaces in the UK will be pot-hole free,there will be plenty of jobs as all the foreigners are leaving and returning home and all because the UK will not be being sucked dry by the European Union...

I admire your optimism, pray to God you are right! lol

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 5:11 PM, gizza5 said:

You Gas Gas boys say the 280 is more of a beast than the 300 so not always the case?

it is something that needs to be tried back to back, do they still make a 280? Im sure it was more like when you get to 300 the bottom end is better?

Edited by nigel dabster