Alshine

Observer problem.

In our part of the country where club memberships are small and run by members who are riders it has always been a problem getting observers.

Events normally end up short of observers resulting in members giving up rides or sharing observer duties.

What are other clubs doing to attract/reward people who are kind enough to observe or do they have some kind of system for riders to do the observing and ride..

Large membership clubs who have non riding members perhaps don't get this problem or do they?

• Like 1

We have a few observers that routinely turn up but not enough to cover all the sections.  So where there is no one the rider observes the next rider and passes the sheet on to them.  Or - mostly - we just score ourselves and everyone trusts that we are honest.

My local club pay £15 to observers and still struggle,seems like every one wants to just ride.

Edited by Bilko

You could go to score cards and ride in small groups. Say 2-4 riders, which score each other. Quite a good time, but takes a little longer.

• Like 1

Our club made the decision this year to put the entry fees up slightly from £15 (which it has been for a long,long time) to £18. We pay the observers £20 each and give them a meal voucher for the burger van. If a rider brings an observer they get a free ride. I couldn't say it has improved things as there is much more to it than that with there being dates clashes, regular observers on holiday etc. I have no idea what the cure is but I would imagine riding round in small groups would take forever as this is generally what a lot do in club trials with no observers.

• Like 1

Has the observer problem came about because  clubs put so many classes and courses on giving more people a chance to ride ? when this was not the case people that could not ride observed 

It's possibly just because people are more "busy" nowadays so if you're not riding, then there is probably something else you feel you should be doing. I'm guessing most observers are either the old guard or parents of riders? I often think I should observe every now and then but as I still have a lot to learn then I prioritise riding. When I'm satisfied I've reached my likely potential then I'd be more likely to observe. 

Obviously observers are critical for the sport and I'm so grateful to them, especially as I really wouldn't want to stand in the cold for four hours watching the same section over and over if it wasn't necessary for the sport. 

Often there are self observed sections but I am astonished at the level of cheating that goes on when that happens. 

Another option is more laps of fewer sections which is ok.

16 hours ago, on it said:

Has the observer problem came about because  clubs put so many classes and courses on giving more people a chance to ride ? when this was not the case people that could not ride observed 

I think you have something here, it used to be Dads, family and friends that would observe as they began to ride less, now everyone keeps riding. In fact I would expect the median age at most club trials now is between 40 and 50. I like the idea of the AMCA MX set up where its no work, no ride, everyone in the club has to observe or no ride. Or its a continuing decline in actually observed trials, though I do wonder just how much this bothers the majority !

hi im just returning to trials at 57 and to be honet i just dont have any spare time i would love to help out but it would mean i would have to miss riding that month

i must admite there are to many routes  its to confusing what with 50/50 etc stick to 3

within MOTA (Michigan Ontario Trials Association) we have 6 Clubs, each club hosts 2 events per season.  For a rider to be awarded season championship points they must work 2 events per season.

This is how we get the majority of our observers, the members of the club will set up, run, observe their 2 events for the season.  and then you ride the other 10.  Season championship standings are determined by your best 8 rides.

It seems to work pretty good.

But you do not have to be a member of one of the clubs to ride the events. You will get a trophy that day (provided you finish in the top 3) but you will not be awarded season championship points for the year end awards.

• Like 3