New Model From Montesa..... When?

jonny042

Crikey! the child prophet BenBen speaks and you lot are ready to bury the most successful brand in history. Cowards.

VIVA MONTESA!

carefull who your calling a coward artie, we don't have Montesa's here in the US anymore, not that we don't want them there is a line of people waiting for the overpriced 4T, it would not surprise me that Honda would drop trials, as I said it's all meerly speculation at this point, since we are not getting Montesas here in the US any more, I would not be surprised that the rest of the world was not too far behind. I do have some hope, but I thought it was a bad decision for Montesa to drop the 2T, in my oppinion more bad decisions could be in the future for Montesa.

I do sincerly hope they can keep Montesa alive, it would be a shame to the whole motorcycling world for them to fall.

Edited by MotoVintage

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response,

As a Montesa dealer I have spoken to Sandiford's and can clarify the following :-

Sandiford's have been associated with Montesa for 42 years, however this year they didn't reach their targeted sales due to a. The bike being the most expensive on the market as a result of it's prime cost and the Euro and b. the effects of the recession.

Montesa suggested a split importership with Honda UK. This is something Sandiford's did not want to happen for the following reasons :-

a. Montesa Honda and Honda Europe have no marketing budget for the next 2 years. So no help promoting the bikes/no UK rider support/no SSDT support etc.

b. Sandiford's a UK Importer (whole or part) would still have to commit to SSDT at their entire sole cost.

c. The targeted units for 2010 are unrealistic with no discount and a bike that is the same as 2009.

Sandiford's still have big stocks of Montesa Historic spare parts and are marketing and promoting the same through their new website. Their commitment to Montesa over the years has been undoubted and never faltered.

As a Dealer of theirs I will not deal with anyone other than Sandiford's and they have the market and industry knowledge which cannot be learnt overnight.

Sandiford's are realistic, times change and things move on. If their association with Montesa has finally come to an end they will diversify and have already been approached about being a high level dealer for another UK Trials Importer. They can for the first time in many many years ENJOY the SSDT !!

They have the knowledge, they have the expertise and they are business people. Their commitment over the years has been ignored due to market and recession conditions.

Edited by munch

In response,

As a Montesa dealer I have spoken to Sandiford's and can clarify the following :-

Sandiford's have been associated with Montesa for 42 years, however this year they didn't reach their targeted sales due to a. The bike being the most expensive on the market as a result of it's prime cost and the Euro and b. the effects of the recession.

Montesa suggested a split importership with Honda UK. This is something Sandiford's did not want to happen for the following reasons :-

a. Montesa Honda and Honda Europe have no marketing budget for the next 2 years. So no help promoting the bikes/no UK rider support/no SSDT support etc.

b. Sandiford's a UK Importer (whole or part) would still have to commit to SSDT at their entire sole cost.

c. The targeted units for 2010 are unrealistic with no discount and a bike that is the same as 2009.

Sandiford's still have big stocks of Montesa Historic spare parts and are not marketing and promoting the same through their new website. Their commitment to Montesa over the years has been undoubted and never faltered.

As a Dealer of theirs I will not deal with anyone other than Sandiford's and they have the market and industry knowledge which cannot be learnt overnight.

Sandiford's are realistic, times change and things move on. If their association with Montesa has finally come to an end they will diversify and have already been approached about being a high level dealer for another UK Trials Importer. They can for the first time in many many years ENJOY the SSDT !!

They have the knowledge, they have the expertise and they are business people. Their commitment over the years has been ignored due to market and recession conditions.

thankyou munch for bringing credibility to this thread.

I didn't have any time for Caroline but thats not going to make me say anything bad about Sandifords. This is a poor show and makes you wonder if the expensive contract that Bou Sanz and Fuji must have will not last long if the sales aren't there for whatever reason.

Worrying times.

First Scorpa now this.

B40RT Posted Today, 02:17 PM

QUOTE (ishy @ Sep 16 2009, 05:14 PM) *

The US auto maker hit the same wall, people just don't want the big old boats anymore.

I always had a problem telling the differance between a 4rt and an Oldsmobile as well.

:rotfl::D

Maybe Doug did get the better end of the stick! :rotfl:

In my mind, the true irony of all this seems to be the fact that there does not seem to be anyone in the US or UK that can manage to put together a simple and reliable cost effective bike for the masses! We shall leave that to Xispa, and it may well be done, as the fundamentals are there!

:D

Edited by copemech

Ah lucky I jumped ship from scorpa and got me an evo and about time too

Honda/Montesa is a great brand they just seem to have the honda stubborn mentality, they just arnt flexible enough to adapt to a quick changing market.

why can't they save cost on the 4rt production .. , I'm sure they are just trying to recover costs on the inital R&D

This all seems very similar to Honda's previuos approaches to Trials especially with RTL in the 80's.

The RTL was the dogs danglies but got more and more expensive as the years went by and despite Saunders and Lejeune in world champ sold very few bikes and then pulled out all together.

I thought for a while that the 4rt senario is very similar to what happend with the RTLs

Oh well.

Honda is a company built on greed.

GasGas,Sherco,Beta are companies built on passion for the Trial.

If it was'nt for the 3 European bike maker's we would have no modern day Trial,just take that thought to bed with you tonight.

Edited by bilc0